Identify the shortage, qualify the requirement, and get sponsored by employer
The Subclass 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored (Regional) visa allows local employers to address identified labor shortages in their area by sponsoring skilled workers when employers cannot find adequately qualified Australian workers.
Visa 494 replaced Visa 187 (RSMS) and came into effect on November 16, 2019. Visa 494 allocates 10,000 seats per year. This requires employer sponsorship from a local employer and the position must exist for 5 years. You must have an age limit of 45 (with exceptions), be fluent in English, have RCB guidelines, and comply with the AMSR. Visa applicants must have an appropriate skills assessment and at least three years of qualifying work.
- Under 45 years of age at the time of application (exceptions apply)
- Fluent English at the time of application
- You must have worked permanently in the designated occupation for at least 3 years and have the qualification level required for the specific occupation. In general, you must have experience within the last 5 years. The periods do not have to be consecutive.
- Equal underemployment could be considered. DHA doesn’t consider odd jobs. GTE requirements do not apply
- If you are in Australia you must have a state or intermediate visa A, B or C.
- Successful skill assessment at the time of application
- Physician registration requirements do not apply DoHA fee (primary applicant) $4045 plus spouse: $2025, children under 18: $1010.
Second VAC: $4,890 if adult applicants do not meet the functional English requirement
- Apply for permanent residency without a Tier 2 nomination on a subclass 191 visa if eligible (starting November 16, 2022)
- Save money for employers with only one SAF collection stage for subclass 494 nominations
- Employers must be located in certain areas of Australia except for Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
- Regions include Perth, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Lake Macquarie, Illawarra, Geelong, Newcastle, Wollongong, Adelaide, Hobart and Canberra.
- Where to find suitable job listings
- The position must be full-time and can serve for five years.
- Employers need local certification body (RCB) approval.
- Employers must pay the Australian Market Wage Rate (AMSR).
- Must live and work for 3 years on the 494 visa in regional areas to get Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) 191 Visa
- Can move between jobs but will have 90 days to find a new nominator
- Cannot apply for any other skilled PR or 820 partner visa for 3 years
- Eligible for Medicare on 494 visa – Health insurance not required