FBP InternationalFBP InternationalFBP International

Difference between agents & lawyers

Book Your Free Consultation

    Difference between Agents and Lawyers

    Migration Agents and Lawyers can get you to your dream destination; think before you choose

    Immigration Lawyers and Migration agents registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) can:

    • Provide advice on visa requirements
    • Assist with lodging visa applications
    • deal with the Department of Home Affairs on your behalf.
      Migration agents typically complete a 12-month certificate or diploma in Australian Migration Law with a tertiary institution. Following this, they can register with MARA and practise as a migration agent.
      However, many lawyers are also migration agents. In contrast to immigration agents who are not legally qualified, immigration lawyers can also appeal to court and high courts.




    Agents must complete 12 months certification or Diploma in Australian Migration Law

    Lawyers must complete a law degree and Practical training.


    Agents Has to be registered with MARA (Migration Agents Registration Authority).

    Lawyer are registered with Legal Admission Board, the Law society.

    Administrative Appeals Tribunal

    Agents can guide individuals with visa applications and merits review in AAT.

    Lawyer can guide individuals with visa applications and merits review in AAT.

    Other courts

    Agents cannot guide you with appeals to Australian courts.

    Lawyer can guide with appeals to the FCCA (Federal Circuit Court of Australia) and the High Court of Australia.

    Cost Effective
    Firstly, with about 100 visa subclasses available in Australia, it can be hard to navigate which visa subclass is most appropriate for you. It may seem like you are saving money by completing the application yourself. However, if your application is refused, it can be very costly. Some visa applications can cost more than $8,000. Refunds for submission of applications are only available in certain circumstances. In addition, as an entrepreneur or employer, you also have to pay SAF tax. SAF Levy is donating to the Skilling Australians Fund to support Australian work. This fee will be refunded only to a limited extent if the Ministry of Interior rejects the application. Also, if you challenge your case to the Administrative Complaint Court, it can be added to your expense.

    Avoid long delays
    An experienced immigration officer or immigration attorney, on the other hand, can prepare the application and prepare for the decision of the person responsible for the problem. Omitting important information or documentation in your application can delay the process. You can get: Request for Information (RFI); PIC4020 Invitation to comment; Request to reply to a letter about justice in nature. If you don’t know how to respond to these letters or what to do in these situations, it can be an overwhelming and stressful experience. In addition, a well-prepared application is more likely to succeed.

    Third, the ministry often refuses visas because employers and individuals do not meet the eligibility criteria. Investing in your first consultation to verify your eligibility and visa options with an immigration agent or lawyer will confirm your aptitude; The chances of success are high. Related costs; Procedure and duration. Each case is different and can pose unique challenges and obstacles. Therefore, an immigration officer or lawyer will identify the legal issue in your case and offer a practical solution.