FBP InternationalFBP InternationalFBP International

Subclass 417 – First Working Holiday Visa

Book Your Free Consultation

    Subclass 417

    First Working Holiday Visa

    The Subclass 417 visa allows a select number of travelers aged 18 to 30 years (inclusive) – and citizens of Canada, France and Ireland aged 18 to 35 years (inclusive) to spend extended holidays in Australia, while also replenishing their funds with a short-term job. The visa is valid for 12 months and allows multiple entry and exit from Australia. Visa holders can usually work for up to six months with any employer and can study for up to four months. May work up to 12 months for certain types of work and in regions.

    The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) is a temporary visa for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to one year. This is a temporary visa that encourages cultural exchange and ties between Australia and the eligible countries. First Working Holiday Visa: You must be outside Australia when you apply for your first working holiday visa and when the visa is decided. Second Working Holiday Visa: If you are applying to Australia, you must be in Australia at the time your visa is issued. If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted. Working in Australia – six months with one employer: You can usually only work six months with one employer. More information at Working in Australia – six months with an employer

    Australia: Swiss citizens are eligible for the Working Holiday Maker program

    In 2022, Swiss nationals will be eligible for the Australian Working Holiday Program. This scheme allows young people aged 18 to 30 to holiday in Australia for up to three (3) years, during which time they can undertake short-term work and study. Under this new subsidy, eligible Swiss nationals will be able to claim a Working and Holiday visa (subclass 462). These visas are issued for an initial period of 12 months and are extended for two additional periods of 12 months.

    This visa is for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year.

    You can get this visa if you:

    • at least 18 years old but under 31 years old
    • have no dependent children with you at any time during your stay in Australia
    • hold a passport from an eligible country.
    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • Republic of Cyprus
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Hong Kong (Including British National Overseas passport holders)
    • Republic of Ireland
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Repuiblic of Korea
    • Malta
    • Netherlands
    • Norway Sweden
    • Taiwan
    • United Kingdom

    people completed a three-month specific job in Australia during their first work and tourist visa period.

    To apply for a second working holiday visa,

    • you must have already completed your designated work in Australia for 3 months.
    • This designated work must be performed during the first work leave visa. A specific occupation is a job performed in a “specific” territory or industry in a specific region.
    • See the Regions section below for a list of zip codes for a specific region. Any specific work performed on or after 1 December 2015 must be paid in accordance with applicable Australian laws and awards.
    • Volunteer work completed after December 1, 2015 is not eligible for a second work leave visa.
    • Industries approved for these activities are:
      • Crop and livestock production.
      • fishing and pearling
      • forestry and logging
      • mining

    Documentation Checklist You must provide documentation supporting your application for this visa. We may use the information you provide when applying to make a decision. It is best to provide as much information as possible on your application.

    You must provide a certified copy of the original document. Do not include original documents unless specifically requested.

    Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations. Use this checklist to make sure your application is complete.


    The completed application is as follows:

    Online Application Submission:

    • First work leave visa:
    • apply for work leave visa Second work leave visa (outside Australia):
    • apply for work leave visa Second work vacation visa (Australia):
    • apply for work vacation visa

    Applying through put up or in person:

    • Form 1150 – Application for a Working Holiday visa (209KB PDF).
    • Second Working Holiday visa: Form 1263 – Working Holiday visa: Employment verification (75KB PDF)
    • Acceptable proof of employment consists of licensed copies of:
    • pay slips (need to be furnished for all detailed paintings executed from 31 August 2015)
    • institution certificates fee summaries tax return company references a finished employment verification form Australian financial institution declaration protecting the duration of declared detailed paintings.

    Your personal documents

    • Certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder`s photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates). A certified copy of your birth certificate showing both parents` names.
    • If you do not have a birth certificate and are unable to get one, you must provide a certified copy of the identification pages of at least one of the following documents:
    • family book showing both parents` names identification document issued by the government courtissued documents that verify your identity.
    • If your name has changed: a certified copy of evidence of the name change. Two recent passportsized photographs (45 m x 35 mm).
    • This photo should show the head and shoulders only on a solid background. Print the person’s name on the back of each photo.
    • If you have served in the armed forces of any country: a certified copy of your military ID or discharge certificate. Proof of Proper Funds:

    A certified copy of your bank statement showing that you have access to at least AUD 5,000 in funds.