FBP InternationalFBP InternationalFBP International

189 (Skilled Independent) Visa

Book Your Free Consultation

    189 (Skilled Independent) Visa

    Do you have the skills to get a 189 independent skill visa? Look below to find out!

    The Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) is a point-based visa designed to select a certain set of overseas skilled people required in different states of Australia

    It allows skilled workers to move and live in Australia without the need of having a sponsorship of a family member or nomination by the state or territory government.

    Step 1 Start your Process
    Step 2 Lodge your Skill Assessment
    Step 3 Lodge Expression of Interest through SkillSelect
    Step 4 Receive ITA (invitation to apply) for the visa
    Step 5 Lodge Visa application (within 60 days of ITA)
    Step 6 Receive 189 Visa Grant
    • It allows you to live and work in Australia
    • This stream is for Points-tested skilled workers
    • It is not sponsored by an employer or family member
    • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
    • If eligible, become an Australian citizen
    • have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
    • have a relevant occupation on the 189 occupation list (MLTSSL)
    •  lodge an EOI and be invited to apply
    • meet the points test pass mark of 65 points (as of 1 July 2018)
    • Be aged between 18 and 44 inclusive
    • have Competent English
    • be invited to apply
    • Meet health and character requirements

    You can be in Australia or offshore when you submit your EOI. You can either be in Australia or overseas when you apply for a Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa.

    If you are to lodge your Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa from within Australia, you will need to hold a Bridging A, B or C visa. This bridging visa will allow you to remain in Australia during the processing of your visa application.

    If your current visa is refused or canceled then you will not be eligible to apply for the 189 visa while you are onshore in Australia

    • How long can I stay?
      Indefinite stay in Australia.
    • Can I study and work?
      Work and study in Australia.
    • Would I be eligible to enroll in Medicare?
      Enroll in Medicare, Australia’s medical and spending system.
    • Can I sponsor visas Sponsor a relative who is eligible for permanent residency?
      Will I be able to travel? You can enter and leave Australia as many times as you like for up to five years after your visa is issued.